McDevitt Overpowers Hershey for 4th Straight, 49-10


October 22nd- Quickly recovering from a slow start, the Bishop McDevitt Crusaders chalked up a 4th straight win in the 2010 football season, a 49-10 victory over the Hershey Trojans tonight at HersheyPark Stadium. The underdog Trojans scored the game's first 10 points before the Crusaders roared back behind seniors Matt Johnson and Jameel Poteat. Johnson sparked the offense by completing 11 of 13 passes for 178 yards and 2 touchdowns, while the Pitt-bound Poteat  ran for 106 yards and two additional scores. On defense linebackers Sean Barowski and Brock Dean led the charge, shutting down the Hershey running attack for the final 3 quarters. Junior defensive end Noah Spence once again stood out with his relentless pursuit, and was rewarded for his efforts with a 21 yard fumble return for a touchdown.

            McDevitt's Brian Lemelle took the opening kickoff and saw his 26 yard return halved by a holding penalty. The yellow flags flew two plays later, erasing a Poteat run that would have earned a first down. Instead Johnson was forced to punt, the ball rolling dead on the HER 43. The home team wasted no time in getting on the scoreboard. First came a 26 yard run by massive fullback Harold Brantley, followed by a slick 22 yard option run by quarterback Brett Santangelo for the game's first touchdown. The ensuing kickoff was a touchback and things only got worse for the Crusaders. Another fine Poteat run was marred by a holding penalty and, after short Johnson completions to Lemelle and Poteat, the senior quarterback was stopped short of a first down on a scramble. Johnson's second punt was returned to the McD 5 by Mike Timmons before the McDevitt defense got serious.  Hershey was stopped on 3 consecutive plays, so Andrew Haines came on to kick a 23 yard field goal for the Trojans and the home team had a 10-0 lead, with 4:14 left in the opening quarter. Another touchback preceded McDevitt's 9 play, 80 yard scoring drive. It started, as it has so often this year, with a 3 yard Poteat run, followed by runs of 6 and 5 yards for the Crusader's initial first down. Then Johnson connected with speedy Shawn Seif for a 6 yard gain before Poteat moved the chains again with an 8 yarder. After an incompletion Johnson dropped a pass off to the rugged Barowski, who rumbled for 12 yards, to the HER 40. Poteat then broke off a twisting 36 yard run, topped off by a facemask penalty against the Trojans. With the ball now on the HER 2, Poteat finished off the drive with a powerful blast into the end zone. Sophomore Connor Maloney drilled the PAT and McDevitt trailed 10-7. The game momentum changed for good on the following kickoff when the Trojans fumbled and junior Anthony Shingara pounced on the loose ball at the HER 14. The quarter ended after a 1 yard Poteat run.

            Things didn't start well for McDevitt in the second quarter. First, a holding penalty pushed the Crusaders back to the HER 27 before a sack cost them 7 more yards. Facing a third-and-20, Johnson drifted back and flipped a screen pass to Lemelle. The speedy soph was surrounded by blue jerseys but somehow wiggled free and headed for the far sideline. Lemelle flew past the remaining safety and crossed the goal line to finish the dazzling 34 yard play. Maloney's PAT attempt was wide, so McDevitt took a 13-10 lead, with 11:04 left in the first half. The McDevitt defense was in control now, and quickly forced a short Hershey punt that rolled to a stop on the HER 38. This drive began with a 4 yard Poteat run, followed by 4 more from Barowski. Poteat earned the first down with a short 3 yard burst and, following an incomplete pass, flashed for 11 yards, to the HER 16. One play later Johnson swung a pass to Barowski in the flat and the 240 pound senior rolled to the HER 8. Poteat finished the drive form there and, after Maloney's successful kick, the McDevitt lead had grown to 20-10. Hershey's next series was another short one, as Dean dropped Timmons for a 2 yard loss and forced an incompletion on third down. The ensuing Hershey punt was fielded by Seif at the McD 31 and returned to the HER 42, a 27 yard scamper. Another holding penalty pushed the Crusaders back to midfield, but the visitors were determined to score before half time. Johnson passed to freshman Rashad Lawson for a 6 yard gain before junior Darnell Holland spelled Poteat and ran for a 4 yard gain. Poteat returned in time to move the chains with a 4 yard run and followed with a 5 yard effort, to the HER 26. Two plays later McDevitt faced a 4th-and-3 at the HER 24, so Johnson flipped a short pass to the reliable Barowski, who plowed 16 yards for the first down. Two short Poteat runs and an incomplete pass slowed progress, so Maloney was called upon the the sophomore drilled a 23 yard field goal to allow the Crusaders to go into half time with a 23-10 lead.

            The second half started with the two teams trading punts before Holland intercepted a Santangelo pass at the HER 42. Once again a holding penalty cost the Crusaders 10 yards to start the drive, but that was overcome with a pair of passes to Lemelle. The first one was a 9 yard out and, after a motion penalty against McDevitt, was followed by a 22 yard gain, to the HER 21. On the next play Dean, playing fullback for one of the few times this year, took Johnson's handoff and bolted past the startled Hershey secondary for a 21 yard touchdown run. The PAT attempt was blocked, so the Crusaders had to settle for a 29-10 lead. The game then settled into a punting contest (Hershey 2, McDevitt 1) before Seif sparked the Crusaders with a nifty punt return to the HER 30. Alas, yet another penalty against McDevitt, this time for a block in the back, cost the visitors yardage, back to the HER 48. After a 4 yard Barowski run on the first play on the fourth quarter, Johnson passed to Seif in the left flat. Following a key Barowski block, Seif sailed down the sideline for a 44 yard scoring play. After Maloney nailed the kick the McDevitt lead had ballooned to 36-10,. The Trojans managed to string together a couple of first downs until Noah Spence forced, and then recovered a fumble at the HER 26. With sophomore Alec Werner relieving Johnson and the reserves taking over, it was time for the 5'7” freshman, Lawson, to take over. It started with a 6 yard run followed by an impressive 15 yard gain, with Lawson breaking tackles and fighting for extra yardage. Lawson gained a yard and then followed junior fullback Jayraun Smith through a big hole into the end zone for the touchdown. The PAT was blocked again, leading to a 42-10 score. That changed quickly after the kickoff. On Hershey's first play from scrimmage the ball was fumbled and Noah Spence scooped it up and dashed the remaining 18 yards to finish the night's scoring. Spence's score enacted the “Mercy Rule”, with its continuously running clock, so the game's final 6:52 went quickly. Hershey tried for a final score, but the McDevitt defense, composed mainly of JV players enjoying some hard-earned varsity playing time, held at the McD 30 as the game ended.

Next Saturday, October 30th, the Crusaders welcome the Red Land Patriots to McDevitt Field. Game time is 10:30 AM.


Back to Home Page